Sunday, July 11, 2010

Travelblogue

Parenthood transforms an already small world into a microcosm of itself. Five miles this way, three miles that. The same restaurants, the same grocery stores, the same dry cleaner options. In a juvenile attempt at escape, I find myself driving 15 miles for a haircut or 25 miles, one way, just to fill up the tank.

It will take a little time to reign in my wandering tendencies (geographic, not romantic!), but I'm sure I'll be be just fine. After all, it's all about me. Ha. I saw you cringe just then, and no, I don't believe that for a second.

Already, I find myself driving less ... aggressively ... particularly with kids buckled in the back seat. But drive I will, odd distances for innocuous objects, all in a passively defiant effort to keep the road warrior badge I earned putting some poor Kuwaiti child through college.

We're about to embark, the four of us, on a 10-hour drive kicking off a week with the in laws in the north woods. This should be fun.

In the anticipated absence of full connectivity, I suspect the next blog entry may take some time. On the other hand, 20 car-bound hours and six full days with the kidlings should yield plenty of easily posted one liners for @overnightdad, the Twitter companion to this journal.

Wishing you all a happy, safe and wildly entertaining mid-summer's week.

Note to self: The in laws read this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. I'm new to this parenting thing. While I'm not soliciting advice here unless specifically asked, I'd love to hear your own thoughts on the topics I'm covering. I set comments to accept those with Google accounts to limit spam. If you don't have one, you can e-mail me directly and I'll publish under your name.